Last year we were awarded the Bronze School Games Mark. This October our Bronze School Games Mark was validated by the Sport Industry Research Centre, Sheffield Hallam University (over 300 schools in the UK were validated to ensure that the School Games Marks were awarded fairly and were genuinely deserved by the schools who received them). I am pleased to say that St Nicholas's Bronze was validated and, as the report below shows, there is not much more that we need to do to achieve Silver this year.
Sport Premium 2017-2018
St Nicholas receives £8,475 Sport Premium funding for the academic year 2017-2018
We use this money to buy into the Vale School Sports Partnership ‘Gold Package’.
This provides St Nicholas staff and pupils with:
- Specialist PE teachers to work alongside St Nicholas staff in a CPD role and to provide specialist sport/PE teaching.
- Paul Chadwick – a highly skilled and experienced PE teacher from the Vale Academy Trust – working at St Nicholas every Tuesday this year.
- Sean McCulloch - a highly skilled and experienced PE teacher from the Vale Academy Trust – working at St Nicholas every Thursday this year.
- In the course the year their role includes a total of:
- 70 hours of CPD for staff. This is bespoke CPD involving each teacher working closely with Paul in co-planning, team teaching, mutual observation and self-evaluation of personalised subjects/aspects of sports/PE teaching.
- 114 hours of PE teaching/Sports coaching. All pupils are taught PE/Sport by Paul throughout the year in addition to their usual PE/Sport lessons with their class teacher. As a result St Nicholas Pupils are receiving outstanding PE/Sport lessons from a specialist PE teacher on a regular basis.
- 16 hours of competitive sports team management/coaching. Paul's time includes working with pupils in sports teams to prepare them for forthcoming sports competitions. This is part of our plan to increase participation of St Nicholas pupils in competitive sport against other schools and to improve our chances of success.
- In Term 1 pupils competed in:
- Cross Country
- Tag Rugby
- In Term 3/4 pupils will be competing in:
- Intermediate Swimming Gala
- Bisi Badminton
- 24 hours of cross-curricular work with Pupil Premium pupils. Paul takes a group of Year 2 pupils each week to improve their numeracy through PE/Sport.
- Membership of The Vale PE and School Sport Partnership with strategic support of PE, School Sport, Club Links, through the County Sports Partnership and National Governing Bodies of Sport.
- Our PE Coordinator attends termly PE Coordinator meetings with the Vale Schools Sports Partnership/WASPS PE Coordinators.
- Opportunities for school teams to compete in and qualify for Vale Tournaments and Oxfordshire School Games.
- During Term 1 St Nicholas pupils have competed in the Vale School Sports Partnership Cross Country competitions.
- Access to High Quality Continual Professional Development opportunities such as teaching Foundation Stage PE and professional development for teaching, learning, assessment, progression, inclusion and OFSTED preparation for both KS1 and KS2.
- St Nicholas staff have attended INSET provided by the Vale School Sports Partnership including Dance training (which led to staff setting up a Dance after school club for Terms 3/4 last year).
- Additional support via partnership grants and other income sources through the SSCo.
- Support from the School Sport Coordinator to coordinate competitions, tournaments and festivals including ‘young leader’ and ‘inclusive’ opportunities.
- Other support through the Primary Head of PE and SSCo including:
- Assessment support, schemes of work for all age groups, primary school clubs at King Alfred’s, transition workshops, summer academies, multi-sports, fundamentals, gifted and talented workshops, play leader training, lunchtime supervisor training, grant support and other opportunities as they arise throughout the year.
- Bespoke support for whole school PE and School Sport planning, assessment, progression and preparation of lessons.
- Assistance on preparation for an OFSTED inspection as well as extra teacher support for the duration of the inspection.
- Assistance with running a ‘PE audit’ using resources from AfPE and the Youth Sport Trust.
The Sport Premium is used well at St Nicholas. King Alfred’s Academy provides outstanding PE teachers so pupils and staff learn from the very best. As a result, pupils’ skills and abilities in PE have improved and weekly CPD for staff (through team teaching and coaching) is raising the standard of PE teaching at St Nicholas. The school has been awarded the Bronze Sports Mark two years running and is close to achieving the Silver Sports Mark.
In our recent Ofsted inspection, St Nicholas was commended for its use of the Sports Premium:
The sports funding has been used very well. Sports leaders from the trust have worked effectively with teachers to develop their skills and confidence in physical education. This has improved the quality of teaching in the school and many pupils also benefit from increased opportunities to take part in competitive sport. Pupils enthuse about the competitions they have taken part in and the success their teams have had in these events.